Netflix is canceling Marvel's 'Luke Cage'
Marvel and Netflix confirmed to Deadline on Friday that the show "will not return for a third season." The streaming service dropped its other Marvel series "Iron Fist" last week.
The show, which debuted on the streaming service in 2016, followed the storyline of bulletproof superhero Luke Cage who tries to protect Harlem from villains making the neighborhood's streets unsafe.
The show's creator, Cheo Hodari Coker, tweeted his thanks to the cast and production crew as well as to Marvel and Netflix.
"A lot memories. A lot of individual thank-you calls to make," Coker tweeted. "Just want to say thank you to Marvel, Netflix, the best Writer's room, cast, crew, the Midnight Hour, all those who graced the stage at Harlem's Paradise and the most incredible fan base in the world. Forward always..."
The Netflix series aired its second season last June.
The cancellation surprised many of the show's fans, some who were expecting another season.
"So wait... First they cancel Iron Fist after a massive improvement. Now they've cancelled arguably their best Marvel series?! I swear to God, we'd better hear something about a Heroes for Hire series like, YESTERDAY. "
"Luke Cage was one of the greatest Superhero shows we have ever had. It had a quality, tone and point of view unlike anything we had seen in genre storytelling. Nothing can replace it. Just a tragedy losing this great show."
"I'm not into @Marvel movies or the universe. I was into #LukeCage which played like a modern Syfy allegory. Of all content on Netflix they cut Luke Cage in its prime. I hope they solicit other networks & platforms to continue. @cheo_coker is a great writer; Mike Colter is 'Luke.'"
Though the Marvel-Netflix show "Daredevil" just returned for its third season, some fans are worried about what this means for the rest of "The Defenders" characters -- Jessica Jones and Daredevil -- now that Iron First and Luke Cage are done.
"Welp. That makes half of 'em.#LukeCage #IronFist."
"#Defenders is also dead guys... $10 Says JJ is next."
Musical powerhouses unite on album for families separated at the border
Lin-Manuel Miranda, Josh Groban, Idina Menzel, Audra McDonald and Laura Benanti are just a few of the names who gave their time and talents to a new bilingual children's album that will benefit non-profit organizations who are helping with family reunification.
"It's really been a labor of love," Benanti, who spearheaded the project told Stephen Colbert on "The Late Show" on Thursday.
Benanti said she was moved to put together the album after "seeing the images of children in cages."
All of the net proceeds from the album's sale will go to Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services, better known as RAICES, and ASTEP (Artists Striving To End Poverty).
The album was produced by Benanti, Mary-Mitchell Campbell and Lynn Pinto.
Featured songs include "Arrorró Mi Niño" (performed by Laura Benanti & Isabella Preston), "Singing You Home" (performed by Audra McDonald & Jason Robert Brown, who also wrote the song) and "Cielito Lindo" (performed by Lin Manuel-Miranda & Mandy Gonzalez)
On Twitter, Benanti, who frequently appears on "The Late Show" parodying First Late Melania Trump, said she has "never been more proud of a project."
The album, out October 26, is available for pre-order.