US Coast Guard crew seizes cocaine worth $206 million
The Coast Guard cutter Campbell returned to its homeport in Kittery, Maine, on Friday after the counter-narcotic patrol in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific.
The Campbell intercepted suspected smuggling vessels six times, according to a statement from the Coast Guard.
The Campbell's commanding officer, Cmdr. Mark McDonnell, said he's "incredibly proud" of his team. The 29-year-old ship has a crew of 100.
The Cambell and another cutter, Active, seized the drugs off the coasts of Mexico, Central and South America, the Coast Guard said. The crew offloaded the drugs last week in Florida.
McDonnell said the presence of the Coast Guard and other law enforcement agencies is "essential to dismantling the crime networks that threaten the US with their illicit activities."
The crew detained 24 suspected smugglers during the patrol.
The Campbell's crew was assisted with MH-65 Dolphin helicopters from the Helicopter Interdiction Tactical Squadron unit, based in Jacksonville, Florida.
A photo shared by the Coast Guard shows some of the crew members standing around the massive cargo.
Trauma surgeon in YouTube shooting vents his frustration over continuing gun violence
Those private conversations became public Tuesday.
Campbell, who helped treat victims injured in a shooting at the YouTube headquarters in California hours earlier, made pointed comments about gun violence in a press conference about victims of the shooting.
"To think that after we've seen Las Vegas, Parkland, the Pulse nightclub shooting, that we would see an end to this, but we have not," Campbell, an attending trauma surgeon at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center, told reporters.
Three people suffered gunshot wounds in the shooting on the campus in San Bruno, California, south of San Francisco, according to San Bruno Police Chief Ed Barberini. One person injured her ankle, Barberini said. The female shooter died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, the chief said.
Campbell said gun violence is a problem that needs to be addressed. He also chided the media for not paying attention to other instances of gun violence.
"Gun violence happens every day throughout the United States. It happens here in San Francisco. It happens in the Bay Area. It happens all over the country," Campbell said. "But I don't see you guys out here because I'd like to make sure that people know that we got a serious problem that we need to address."
"I don't have all the answers ... at least we're having a discussion about it nationally," he said. "This is a real problem."
Hospital spokesman Brent Andrew said a 32-year-old woman was in serious condition, a 27-year-old woman was in fair condition and a 36-year-old man was in critical condition.
Campbell said the patients injured in the shooting at the YouTube headquarters suffered multiple injuries and were not in surgery at the moment.
"This is a terrible day in the United States," said Campbell, a professor of surgery at the University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine.
Campbell said once again, the hospital -- the only level 1 trauma center in San Francisco -- was confronted with a mass casualty.
The hospital dealt with multiple shooting victims in each of the past two weeks, Campbell said. The incidents included a fatal shooting at a San Francisco barbershop.
"I didn't see all these cameras out here ... last week when I was here," he said.
"That's the problem, when something like this happens, which is terribly unfortunate, then you guys come out," Campbell said. "The reality is we have to deal with this all the time. We have to deal with the families."
Emergency medical providers generally define a mass casualty as an incident in which the number of casualties exceeds the resources available to deal with them.
The patients were awake and aware of what happened, Campbell said.
When asked if they said anything when they arrived at the hospital, Campbell said: "No, other than shocked like we are ... every time these terrible things happen."
In an interview with CNN, Campbell said he wanted to speak about an issue the gun violence in all communities.
"We kind of quietly do our job and we don't say a whole lot," he said. "But today just seemed like it was a day where people wanted to hear what was going on."
He added: "We as trauma providers, we are just saddened by the fact that this is persistent problem."
Campbell grew up in Queens, New York, at a time when the city struggled with gun violence.
His interest in the sciences led to him to study pre-med at Harvard University. He graduated in 1980.
Campbell earned a medical degree five years later from the University of California, San Francisco.
He returned to New York to work as a resident at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, where he often treated victims of gun violence.
"I felt that I'd be able to make a difference in people's lives becoming a trauma surgeon," he told CNN.
He hasn't treated victims of nation's mass shootings like colleagues in other hospitals, but he has seen his share of gunshot victims over the years.
At Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, he recalled seeing 10 to 15 gunshot victims often on weekends about a decade ago, he said.
"It happens with such regularity. It's unbelievable," he said of gun violence.
"We need to work together to find a solution," Campbell said.
Soon after he spoke to reporters, colleagues and doctors worldwide sent him warm text messages and emails.
"I just echoed what they feel," he said.
Power restored at Disneyland after outage halts rides
The outage, caused by a transformer issue shortly before 11 a.m., came during a busy holiday season at the Anaheim, California, amusement park.
The outage took out power in portions of the Toontown and Fantasyland areas, Brown said. About a dozen attractions were affected and guests were escorted off the rides, Brown said.
All power was restored by 4 p.m. and the rides were working again, she said. "We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience to all of our guests who were impacted," Disneyland said.
Geoff Fienberg, who was on the "It's a Small World" ride when the outage happened, told CNN it wasn't much of an ordeal after the ride stopped.
"About 60%-70% of the way through the ride the power just went off," he said. The guests sat "25 minutes in the dark" and were eventually escorted off.
He said everyone was "pretty calm" and there was no "danger" or "commotion." The attraction is a boat ride in the Fantasyland area.
"It was just dark, music was still playing, so that will be in most of our heads probably for the following year."
Disneyland said on its Twitter feed Wednesday afternoon that it was "currently only accepting guests for re-entry."